The Shipley estate is an ancient manor and from the 14th century the land was covered in extensive forest and used for hunting. Shipley Hall was built in 1700, and by 1722 coal mining was an important activity on the Shipley estate. The Hall was rebuilt in 1799 to the design of William Linley of Doncaster, and the grounds were landscaped by William Emes, a follower of Capability Brown. In the late 1960s Derbyshire County Council decided to create a Country Park as a memorial to mining in the area. The National Coal Board reclaimed the land near the closed collieries by opencast methods, between 1970 and 1974. Two years were spent contouring the site, planting trees, seeding fields and meadows, and building facilities for the public: Shipley Country Park opened to the public on 26 May 1976.