There is evidence of iron production at the site for over 700 years with the first blast furnace being erected in 1788. In 1846, Benjamin Smith erected three blast furnaces on the bank of the Erewash canal. The company eventually became the Staveley Coal and Iron Company, employing as many as 7000 people at the site. In 1960 the iron works were merged with the Staveley Iron and Chemical Company to form Stanton and Staveley Ltd, before being incorporated into the larger British Steel Corporation. The foundry was finally purchased by the French Company Saint Gobain before its closure in 2007.